Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Panel Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriskid

hi, i have recently built a small 18w solar panel and am quite confused. When i try to measure the current of the solar panel in just daylight it produces only 5ma and sometimes i measure it straight afterwards and it would give out 100ma in the same daylight. I was thinking this was due to a connection that might be not quite good enough in the solar panel because it doesnt gradually go from 5ma to 100ma, it just shoots straight up to it when nothing outside as changed in light intensity?

thanks from chris

Intermittent connection in your panel or your ammeter or both.

hi i want to make soler pannel at my home plese tell me what requirements for that and how i can made it thanks.

Broken cell?

I Noticed

I Noticed that two of the cells in the solar panel have splits/ cracks going to the middle of the cell. Do these cracks have an effect on the solar cell even though its not completely split in half? since this might the reason why it was doing the thing earlier.

Yes, it will effect it. Depends on how the solar array is wired internally, it's probably some combination of series/parallel panels, you may not be able to bypass the cracked cell, which means you should probably buy a new panel.

so with a cracked cell when the cells are parallel is it worth changing the cracked cell for a spare? or is there only minimal change in how well the cell works because of the crack?

thanks from chris

If it's an 18watt solar panel it's a combination of series and parallel cells, you could try using a conductive glue to seal the crack, but I have no idea what that'll do to the long term reliability of the panel. If you have the funds or a replacement you can use I would recommend simply replacing it, and contacting the maker of the panels to see what kind of repair/patch method they might suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back