Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Panel Fan Toy

Status
Not open for further replies.

multis6

I have in mind to build a toy that will work off a small 6volt solar panel array. The idea is the 5volt motor will be feed from a capacitor & solar panel, it is to run intermittently depending on the strength of the sun. The panel provides a small amount of power to the cap, when the cap is charged to 5 volts a circuit would be completed and the motor would run until the cap is discharged. A that point the cycle would start all over.

I know it can be done, I’ve seen it but I don’t know what the components and values would be. Let’s start with what I have, 5 volt fan motor (from a computer), a 9300MFD capacitor.( just kicking around) and 1.5 volt solar panels (from yard lights)

Any help would be appreciated.

Why not just run the fan directly off the solar panels? Then it will run continuously when the sun is out.

There are simple robot projects on the internet that slowly charge a capacitor with a small solar panel then switch on the very low power motor for it to run for a minute from the charge in the capacitor.

A computer fan uses a lot more current than the solar panel in a garden light can drive. It might take all day to charge a huge capacitor that will power the fan for only a few seconds.

Thanks for the thoughts but ½ the fun or frustration is building it. The parts are free for recycle & reuse.
One solar panel will not drive the motor but wiring them in an array of series & parallel
Will give me the volts and mutable milliamps that I can use.

Solar panels are nearly useless in Upstate NY in the middle of winter and even now.
They work pretty well in the middle of summer when the sun is high in the sky for many hours each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back