Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Lilly-pad Water Fountain Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe use a motion detector and set them up to squirt a small jet of water at the next person to pass by.

And what if the thing goes "boom"? Just hope the person getting "squirted" doesn't have a week heart, or it may do more than just scare the crap of out of them...

Marks256 said:
And what if the thing goes "boom"? Just hope the person getting "squirted" doesn't have a week heart, or it may do more than just scare the crap of out of them...

I agree that if used stupidly this could be trouble. So can a super soaker, spud gun, or the family car.

"flow T narg" has the reaction chamber under the water. The water pushed out by the blast will help dampen the sound. Unless the thing explodes the reaction chamber I would not expect it to be very loud.

The real problem is harming the fish with the noise. One would have to take care to not transmit sound/shock into the water. It makes sense to put the thing in a small pond/tub with no fish.

Last edited:
Hmm, i wonder what wont work on this?
I would pot T1 (the sparker transformer) and "remote" it to the inside of the reaction chamber. That way you don't have to run the high voltage through the water. Makes the insulation requirements less daunting.

WHy do you need the transistor oscillator to control the ignition transformer?

You could use a single MOSFET connected in series with it and the gate controlled by the PIC.

You will need some type of valve on the intake or it will just sink.

Ahh, cool using a mosfet would be great. How do I go about selecting one, my pic can output 5V at 20MA. Not sure what I can find for an ignition transformer yet.

How do I go about calculating the proper oscillation frequency and a proper size mosfet for the igniter application, (formulas please ???)

About the valve intake, I will be using a check valve; the entire thing will have an adjusted density to keep it buoyant. Not sure what kind of force I will be looking at though for countering the water jet forces, may sink during that time if to high of an impulse.

Thanks

flow T narg said:
How do I go about calculating the proper oscillation frequency and a proper size mosfet for the igniter application, (formulas please ???)
You need to know the specification of the coil.

Voltage?
Current?
Inductance?
Saturation flux?

You probably won't be able to get all of the above so you'll need to experiment to some degree.

Check out this link. I found it a while back, but haven't gotten around to building it yet. From the looks of your project you may have already seen it.

As far as an ignition transformer is concerned, here are some ideas:

1. Car ignition coil.
  2. TV flyback transformer.
  3. 230V mains transformer.
  4. Wind your own flyback.
  5. Xennon flash trigger transformer.

camera flash would work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back