Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Lilly-pad Water Fountain Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.

flow T narg

This is a weird but cool project for a water garden / pond or whereever]. I need a nice solid state circuit to operate this that uses min energy, any help would be appreciated . (see image)

Operation hypothesis:

1.The carbon electrodes will split the water molecules into H2 and O2 via solar power.

2. the gasses will accumulate at the top of the chamber until there is sufficient gas and no water touching the water sensing electrode.

[IMG]https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/flowtnarg/lilypad.jpg

3. once the water sensor circuit initiates, the circuit will turn off the electrodes, charge capacitor, initiate a timer and create a one minute audible / light alert and then ignite the gasses.

4. atoms will reform creating water (steam), The expansion of the reaction will create a large amount of pressure forcing out all the water below the water sensing electrode. This water will shoot out the top vents around the solar cell.

5. the electrolysis electrodes will be switched back on, process will repeat...

Electrolysis takes along time to preform with just regular water. It took me day and a half just to make 1 liter of hydrogen running at 9vdc, and i am sure i will take you just as long.

Ya, I liter holy S&^$ I don't need that much! I know it takes a while. The process in your application could be speed-ed up by using a weak molarity acid like a 1M of HCl.

[flow T narg]The process in your application could be speed-ed up by using a weak molarity acid like a 1M of HCl.[/quote]
According to the picture you keep fish in your pond, won't that kill them?

I have a bad feeling your fish will be the first fish in space... :D

This has got to be one of the weirdest ideas I've ever heard but I'd love to see pictures of it in action =) Just make the tube really thin, you don't need to blow much of that stuff up to get a lot of force. The main problem with it is like Marks said you need a lot of power to electrolys water, this thing might only go off once or twice a day.

Hmm, interesting idea. I tried something like this before, only not in a pond, but something you should take note of is, you'd better cast it in resin. A plain glass or plastic container isn't strong enough, you need walls about two or three centimeters thick, or an inch or so.

What are the capabilities of your solar cell? CUrrent/voltage? I think I can help.

Oh, and not too big. The bigger it is, the less it's like a fountain and the more it's like a bomb.

Ha, funny comments. I will be using reinforced epoxy resin. I am planning to use a solar panel array producing 6 volts at 300ma. I can Parallel more arrays on separate "Lilly pads" if more current is needed. I would be pleased if this design would cycle at least once per day. The density will also be adjusted to slightly increase its buoyancy as the chamber fills with gas. This will serve as a qualitative indicator of the units potential energy. Hopefully, the sun-bathing frogs will disrupt the solar cell panels enough to delay detonation and thus prevent their disturbance.

Yes, you can parallel the solar cells but don't expect full power from them unless they're in full sun at the equator.

Any frogs anywhere near this thing will probably jump a mile when it goes off, especially if they're sitting on top of the exploding lilly pad.

the amount of gas allowed for recombination will not be in much excess in regards to the water that needs to be displaced. This would be calibrated and controlled by the water sensing electrodes. The venting and water flow capacity would also need to be calculated to ensure chamber pressure would not exceed crazy levels. I would not want to harm any frogs or fish now. The only concerns I have are creating a good efficient circuit.

How about a PIC microcontroller encased in a water-proof container?

Good idea, I have a old BS2-IC which would work perfect. Now i need a good recommendation for a solid state igniter circuit that would function with the PIC micro-controller. The spark gap I need to be about 4 mm across, and should be able to start charging from about 4 volts to deliver about 15k vo.ts. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Once you've built the circuit and you're certain it works why not pot it; especially the high voltage section?

I could pot it. But considering the circuit board traces will be adequately spaced and proper shielding of the high voltage circuit will be maintained, I do not feel that will be a necessary procedure for this simple circuit.

It does sound like a lot of fun. Small ones would recharge faster, maybe use a motion detector and set them up to squirt a small jet of water at the next person to pass by. :eek:

flow T narg said:
Ya, I liter holy S&^$ I don't need that much! I know it takes a while. The process in your application could be speed-ed up by using a weak molarity acid like a 1M of HCl.

Acid will lower the ponds pH. If you go this route be sure to monitor the pH so it does not drop too fast or far. Once you start messing with the pH it is hard to keep it stable and that is hard on the fish. I would not do it.

One option would be to put the device into a small bog/pond with low pH plants and no fish. I have no idea if the pH would be low enough to help.

3v0

ya, I do not pla on using HCl in the pond water, there will be enough natural occurring ions in the water to perform electrolysis. The motion activated circuit is a good idea though then it would be more probable to witness the display. As long as bugs, frogs and birds would not activate the circuit.

flow T narg said:
ya, I do not pla on using HCl in the pond water, there will be enough natural occurring ions in the water to perform electrolysis. The motion activated circuit is a good idea though then it would be more probable to witness the display. As long as bugs, frogs and birds would not activate the circuit.

This sounds like a lot of fun. If you actualy build it please post results/plans. If the solar power does not work out running a wires to power it would be ok for me. May need them for the people detection anyway.

3v0

For sure i will post the photos / video. First I need to build it though. So far this is what i found for a sparker circuit. I'm thinking i can replace the 555 with timing from the micro pic to control the spark duration. ? ? what do you think? { see diagram }

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back