Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

solar drain pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

just thinking modding one of those solar pool pumps
**broken link removed**
to pump wate from a drainage ditch/pond. Since it fills just some times I would put in two float switches and a relay to create a latching circuit like this
**broken link removed**

relay would be this
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/12/HFD31_en.pdf

do I need something else since the pump may drain too much from the panel? I.e. something to switch it on when the voltage is more than 6V or so? Read earlier on a relay would do?

Thanks,

Case

PS: am aware the schematic is 12V and the ebay pumps are 6V....

Last edited:
something to switch it on when the voltage is more than 6V or so? Read earlier on a relay would do?

Yes, the 6V version of that relay has a pull-in voltage of 4.5V, so it probably won't activate until the voltage is high enough to run the pump. I assume S2 is the "high water" switch and S1 is the "low water" cutout. If so, the circuit looks fine. I might suggest backspike diodes on the relay coil and motor to extend the life of the switches - but for the watt and a half it runs at it won't make much difference.

Yes, looks great. Happy solar water pumping!

Don't you just love it when a project which has stalled for several years is finally finished and is now doing something useful.

Well done!

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back