Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

granddad

Most Helpful Member
I am putting together a small solar charge controller, 5w 12v panel 12v 7ah lead gel battery , circuit is similar to the one used here
https://www.instructables.com/id/ARDUINO-SOLAR-CHARGE-CONTROLLER-Version-20/

I am using a PIC24FV32KA302 ( not Arduino) the basic prototype works OK , but it has not had any long testing yet. The charging sequence is based on stuff of the www. as the graph below ... am I more or less on the right lines please...
graph.jpg

Last edited:
Usually, the full panel current goes to the battery until the battery voltage reaches (pick a number) 14.4V.

Then, hold the battery voltage at 14.4V while watching the charge acceptance current of the battery (You should be able to deduce that from the PWM duty cycle, assuming full sun state). When the charging current drops to below 0.01C, switch to float charging, where the battery voltage is held at (pick a number) 13.6V.

I dont think you ever should Equalize a sealed battery, only wet cells with removable caps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back