Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

solar charger help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkitchen2002

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this post.... I'm not that up on electrics can get by and understand a few things...
So I bought myself a solar charger only to find it not working. I told the supplier and he sent me another but this one's defective also.... Now i really want this to work as they're rechargable via the wall socket as they have lithium batteries, one's a 2600ma which is a good sized capacity.
They seem to be charging and they do very occasionally actually charge my phone but not all the time. I've taken pics of them to see if anyone can help me sort it out as i believe they can work, I just think it's shoddy workmanship as the lights work.
I'm almost certain the bat is being charged it's just not geting out to my devices....
Any help identifying the various parts of the circuit would be helpful.....
Thanks

Attachments

• Pic 01.jpg
    Pic 01.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 288
  • Pic 03.jpg
    Pic 03.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 286
  • Pic 04.jpg
    Pic 04.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 290
another pic to help

here's another pic if anymore are needed give me a shout
Thanks

Attachments

• Pic 05.jpg
    Pic 05.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 292
here's a 1350mA charger

Here's another charger with same problem.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 289
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 286
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 278
Did you tried to charge another device. My motorola milestone dont accept solar chargers BUT the same charger charge perfectly my even older sony-erricsson phone.

In short - new sophisticated devices neeed more charge current and those cheap solar charger cant supply this much current even it they claim 1350mAh is available.
Additionally I found that most of the integrated charging controller dont provide more than 500mA and some rare cases - 800mA.
I didn found any solution for 1350mAh.

Next big step are new IC's circuits for Ipads (and similar) which pumps 2100 mA.

Additionally - in some cases device needs special information that it is attched to charger to start charging.
It is commonly make in such a way that data lines (rx &tx) are soldered along with two resistors - one 10k and second 33k to both positive and negative terminals thus creating so called "charging USB cable".

Hope this give You some idea about Your charger.

Last edited:
Also check the solar module that you are using. It should have enough peak Watt capacity to meet the required charging current and its output voltage should be according to the charger's requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back