Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Software KVM switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
I finally wore out my last, corded, track ball PS2 mouse. Yes, I hate to change what still works. :D

I currently use two computers, two monitors, one keyboard and mouse with a KVM switch.

My replacement mouse is a Logitech nano V450 laser model. I planned on getting another one for the other computer. Logitech confirms that after binding to their respective computers, the two mice will not interfere with each other.

I don't mind having two mice on my desk for the two computers, but having two keyboards would be inconvenient. Apparently, the KVM switch I have will not support wireless devices. Moreover, Logitech also claims that no KVM switch will support its wireless devices.

Does anyone know whether there is a software solution that would allow one mouse and keyboard set to be used with two computers, each having its own receiver? Logitech did not think its current software would support that. Is there another solution to avoid having two wireless keyboards?

John

No KVM that they make.
If you can still find them find a wireless keyboard/mouse combo that will plug into a Ps2 port, they should still make them.

There is software that will allow keyboard and mouse broadcasting across a network, it's often used in some MMORP games to run multiple game clients on multiple computer from a single keyboard and mouse. Perhaps you should look into those. Won't do the displays but apparently that's not a problem.

Try a Google search for keystroke broadcasting. Be warned this makes the machines horribly insecure if they're not properly firewalled.

Last edited:
. Apparently, the KVM switch I have will not support wireless devices. Moreover, Logitech also claims that no KVM switch will support its wireless devices.

My logictech wireless mouse is about 1 year old. It came with a USB to PS2 plug. The mouse is smart enough to act as a PS2 when the plug is in place. I use it with my old PS2 IOGEAR KVM. I have used 3 different brands of cordless mice and they all work.

Have you tried your KVM with a wireless mouse ?

3v0

My logictech wireless mouse is about 1 year old. It came with a USB to PS2 plug. The mouse is smart enough to act as a PS2 when the plug is in place. I use it with my old PS2 IOGEAR KVM.

Very interesting. My KVM is also IOGEAR PS2. Maybe it's the same. My mouse is the "nano" version. It did not come with a USB to PS2 adapter, so I tried one that I had. It was not recognized when plugged into the KVM. That is, the mouse and receiver would not link. I then plugged the receiver into the PC, got it bound to the mouse, and then retried putting the receiver in the KVM. It still didn't work. That's when I called Logitech.

I have used 3 different brands of cordless mice and they all work.

Have you tried your KVM with a wireless mouse ?

3v0

Yes, as described. In the back of my mind, I am wondering whether the USB to PS2 adapter I have may be at fault. It is a non-branded cheapo that I found in my computer parts box. When I tried it with a USB-corded mouse and the KVM switch, the active computer on cold boot would error out "no mouse found", but if I started with a corded PS2 mouse attached, I could then hot-swap the corded USB mouse plus adapter, and it would continue to work.

My local PC store is great on exchanges, so I got an ATEN USB KVM switch (super cheap). I will try that with the wireless mouse. If that doesn't work, my next step will be to get another USB to PS2 adapter and try that with the IOGear KVM switch.

Thanks for the advice. John

My KVM is a miniview 8E and it has worked flawlessly. I dread the day I have to replace it.

I can not tell you what the mouse is because I run it over cushy foam and the label on the bottom has worn off. The mouse radio receiver is
PID LZ80536
PN 831192-D000
It did not come with a USB to PS2 adapter, so I tried one that I had.
I expect that you mouse may not work with the adapter if it was not shipped with one. When you hooked the mouse receiver directly to the PC did you use a PS2 port to did you have to use a USB ? I am thinking the problem is that that mouse will not do PS2.

This mouse looks close to mine and works with PS2 or USB
LX6 Cordless Optical Mouse

3v0

When you hooked the mouse receiver directly to the PC did you use a PS2 port to did you have to use a USB ? I am thinking the problem is that that mouse will not do PS2.

3v0

It is possible that the mouse will not do PS2 as you suggest. It is also possible my USB to PS2 adapter is garbage. For the price of a new adapter, I am leaning toward the latter possibility right now.

Here is what I did:

1) Using the new USB (both I/O) KVM switch (Aten Petite Model CS22U, about $22), the wireless mouse worked well on both computers. What I don't like about the Aten KVM is that it uses a separate button switch -- one more thing to clutter my desk -- instead of a double click on Scroll Lock to switch computers. It also has a lag of about 1 sec. in switching. The IOWare (Model GCS62) has no lag and has worked flawlessly for the years I have used it.

2) A standard USB corded mouse did not work using my USB to PS2 adapter through the IOGear KVM. It also did not work when plugged directly into the computers' PS2 ports using that adapter. The USB mouse did, of course, work when plugged into a USB port directly.

Conclusion: My USB to PS2 adapter is junk. Stores open at 10 AM EST. I will get a USB to PS2 adapter that hopefully works. Then try that with my PS2 IOWare KVM. I much prefer the IOWare KVM to the Aten USB model.

I will keep you updated. The best part is that your experience gave me the confidence to pursue wireless through a KVM switch.

John

Update

It was a two-fault problem. My USB to PS2 adapter was garbage. With a new adapter, a USB mouse worked as expected.

The second problem is that the Logitech V450 nano laser mouse will not work in a PS2 port, either connected directly with the USB/PS2 adapter or through the PS2 KVM switch that I have.

The V450 mouse does work, as previously mentioned, with a USB KVM switch.

Best regards and thanks.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back