Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soft Starter for Airconditioner Split type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zh3ng

Hi, I'm looking for schematic for soft starter used for Airconditioner Split type with max output about 1500W. Anybody here can help me please?

It sounds like you're talking about the compressor.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is a contactor that shorts a resistor after a couple of seconds of starting up.

Whether you can use a soft-start would seem to depend on the type of motor. If the motor speed or torque cannot be controlled by voltage, I don't see how a simple resistor in the supply will work.

There are a variety of methods to control motor speed, including phase-shift controls for single-phase motors, PWM for DC motors, and VFD for three phase motors. The biggest problem in my experience with trying to control single-phase motors is the lack of torque at the slower speeds. Some have very low torque at start up, which is why there are different types of capacitor set-ups and centrifugal switches to try to counteract that. Electronic control of soft-start, such as one might use with a DC or three-phase motor, doesn't work too well with them.

I tend to associate effective soft-start with motor types that have high initial torque, namely DC, some universal, and multiphase motors. Unless your compressor is one of those types, my guess is that you will not have much luck trying to add soft-start. John

I don't think a soft starter is needed for the air conditioner because air conditioner's system is designed to run compressor right away in order to reach the required high and low pressure at the compressor side. Causing a delay in reaching the required speed of the compressor I guess is not advisable. If you're worried about your compressor from damaged I would recommend you should put an air conditioner time delay protection circuit so that in cases of power failures and immediate switching on and off of supplies, your compressor will be protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back