Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMT socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

Someone said something about a socket for SMT parts. what is that called and can i get it at radioshack? i dont feel like paying S&H just for that. I need to test a cricuit before building it and its SMT.

What type of part it is? If its an IC you get ZIF sockets for SMD packages like QFP and SOP but they are very costly and not easily available.
Its better to use SMD to DIP converter PCB instead.

Not sure if it's what you're after, but there are things called "surfboards". They are small PCB's that have either SIP or DIP pins on them to allow interchanging SMT's on a protoboard or socket. Digikey sells them.

alright, thanks guys. looks like they won't be at radioshack. i was trying to get around soldering wires onto the ICs, but id rather do that than pay S&H for one thing.

Since you're in California I see, you might want to check out the surfboards in Fry's circuit board aisles. They may be cheaper through Digikey though.

Surfboards? I'll take a look next time I head over to san marcos, where the nearest fry's is located.

I wish frys had more electronics stuff. they've got wire and solder, PCB materials and stuff, but they don't have any kind of components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back