Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS power factor correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

I am getting around 0.68 PF from a Meanwell clone 36VDC 350W SMPS.
Is there anything reasonably simple to be done to improve that P.F.?

There are passive power factor correction methods for power supplies, but they usually are integrated into the front end. Other than a very large series inductor, there is nothing "reasonably simple" that can be done external to the supply.

ak

Simple answer is NO.
a very large series inductor
Adding that much inductance to a full wave rectifier will cause it to average not peak filter.
With out inductor; 110Vin ac, 150Vout dc.
With inductor; 110Vin ac, 110Vout dc.

No, I'm talking about an inductor *before* the input bridge, in series with the incoming AC line. The question was about doing something simple, and I took that to mean something outside the purchased power supply.

ak

At 350 watt/VA why bother unless you are running 50 - 100 of these units at once?

If you are running that many of these power supplies at once then going to a centralized PFC system would be a better solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back