Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD hold down tools, 3rd hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeCrashKop

Most Helpful Member
I was having trouble assembling a microscopic SMD resistor, LED and wire wrap wires using dead bug tactics. Then I remembered a third hand tool from welding videos and thought Hmmm.
3rd hand welding.jpg

I made these little tripods from really rigid stainless fishing leader (For catching sharks) with the end ground to a point. I used large split shot fishing sinkers to weigh down the business end. There is room for improvement but they worked great for a first time prototype.
SMT hold down 2.jpg

SMT dead bug.jpg

Last edited:
If we had an Inventive button, I would click it right now.

JimB

Start a Kickstarter program.
Who knows? You could raise a million bucks. ;)

I'm not sure the lead fishing weight is RoHS / REACh registered for sales in Europe - really limits access to opportunity. Other than that, startup money for a fishing weight and a sharpened paper clip should be under $250k.

Ha ha. Thanks guys.
That sinker probably isn't a good idea. The first time you hit it with a hot air reflow tool, it would be a puddle of lead on your PCB.

I was having trouble
I have a collection of spring clamps like this. Some plastic and some metal. Some are large so they will clamp on the edge of the table. I am going to drill a hole in the end and add a spring wire. Or maybe just put the wire under the clamp. Sorry I don't have a picture of the spring clamp open and clamped on the table edge.
1537324970862.png

Ha ha. Thanks guys.
That sinker probably isn't a good idea. The first time you hit it with a hot air reflow tool, it would be a puddle of lead on your PCB.

Lead melts at 621°F. Tin in the 400s and solder at 370°F. I think the remote piece of lead will be fine. Even if the hit air is 700°F, it will take quite a while for the lead to reach 621°F.

Last edited:
I like this idea. I've lost so many components when I've blown them off of the board.

Mike.

I was thinking of something along those lines a few weeks ago .... After contracting with a guy to make 10 prototype units, he now wants 500 units. The units are too big to fit into my IR-Heater oven or I would just get a stencil and solder paste and be done with it. So I have to solder all of the SMT stuff by hand. I was thinking of something along the lines mentioned above to speed my production. If I outsource it, I don't make a dime, if I do it myslf, I net about $9k from the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back