SMD hold down tools, 3rd hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeCrashKop

Most Helpful Member
I was having trouble assembling a microscopic SMD resistor, LED and wire wrap wires using dead bug tactics. Then I remembered a third hand tool from welding videos and thought Hmmm.

I made these little tripods from really rigid stainless fishing leader (For catching sharks) with the end ground to a point. I used large split shot fishing sinkers to weigh down the business end. There is room for improvement but they worked great for a first time prototype.

Last edited:
Start a Kickstarter program.
Who knows? You could raise a million bucks.

I'm not sure the lead fishing weight is RoHS / REACh registered for sales in Europe - really limits access to opportunity. Other than that, startup money for a fishing weight and a sharpened paper clip should be under $250k.

Ha ha. Thanks guys.
That sinker probably isn't a good idea. The first time you hit it with a hot air reflow tool, it would be a puddle of lead on your PCB.

I was having trouble
I have a collection of spring clamps like this. Some plastic and some metal. Some are large so they will clamp on the edge of the table. I am going to drill a hole in the end and add a spring wire. Or maybe just put the wire under the clamp. Sorry I don't have a picture of the spring clamp open and clamped on the table edge.

Ha ha. Thanks guys.
That sinker probably isn't a good idea. The first time you hit it with a hot air reflow tool, it would be a puddle of lead on your PCB.

Lead melts at 621°F. Tin in the 400s and solder at 370°F. I think the remote piece of lead will be fine. Even if the hit air is 700°F, it will take quite a while for the lead to reach 621°F.

Last edited:
I like this idea. I've lost so many components when I've blown them off of the board.

Mike.

I was thinking of something along those lines a few weeks ago .... After contracting with a guy to make 10 prototype units, he now wants 500 units. The units are too big to fit into my IR-Heater oven or I would just get a stencil and solder paste and be done with it. So I have to solder all of the SMT stuff by hand. I was thinking of something along the lines mentioned above to speed my production. If I outsource it, I don't make a dime, if I do it myslf, I net about $9k from the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…