Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smart Weighing Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

razzmatazz87

Hello everyone,

I have planned to build a weighing machine which can input the reading into computer and store it for monitoring purposes.

Honestly, this is my first time building such machine. So, i would like some assistance from you guys. Can you list out appropriate sensor(s) to sense the load from user.

Is it suitable to use potentiometer as load sensor. What are it`s advantages and disadvantages.

Thank you.:)

variable resistor would have been good but will need complex construction. if you can lay your hands on a length of resistance wire. it will give more precise result than variable resistors.

ok..but I have observed that strain sensor is hard to extent for huge amount of force applied...for example..lets say my weight is 75 kg..if i want to measure my weight using strain gauge, maybe i got nothing because 750N is not sufficient to make the strain gauge extent for 1%...

Ermm....would you care to explain??
I kind a newbie here :(

by the way, i have 1 question in my mind. If i use multiple strain gauge to measure human weight? i`ve heard that strain gauge can hardly strain 1% and it cannot return to normal state is it? Hence making it not suitable for my project. Correct me if im wrong ok? :D

Ermm....would you care to explain??
I kind a newbie here :(

by the way, i have 1 question in my mind. If i use multiple strain gauge to measure human weight? i`ve heard that strain gauge can hardly strain 1% and it cannot return to normal state is it? Hence making it not suitable for my project. Correct me if im wrong ok? :D

hi,
You purchase the strain gauge elements that give say 10mV/Volt at the maximum expected weight.
You would not use a load cell rated for say 10,000Kg to weigh a maximum of 1Kg.

There are also 'semiconductor' strain gauge elements which produce a higher output voltage than the simple resistive elements.

You have to decide the weight range and accuracy before designing the load cell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back