Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smart battery charger with PIC16F877A

Status
Not open for further replies.

amindzo

Hi, i want to charge a 12v, 7.2Ah battery with PIC16F877A. I need a smart battery charger. i use picbasic pro 2.5b.could you help me with this?

U need to setup a feedback loop using the ADC (measuring batt V) on the PIC. That allows u to govern the duty cycle of current pulses to the battery. U also need to know the specs on your battery voltage levels to know when it's charged. You will need a power MOSFET driver driven by a PIC pin to feed the current to the battery. You will prob. also need an over current circuit on the MOSFET gate in case of a short. That can be done with the PIC as well by using another ADC and a power resistor to measure the voltage drop caused by heavy current flow.

Hi, i designed this battery charger for one of my project but it's a simple one and it's not a smart and good one. i need a smart and advanced battery charger that charges the batteries very well and don't damage them. i want to charge a 12v, 7.2Ah Ni-Cd or Ni-MH battery. i want to charge the batteries in two ways, in some place with electricity and in some place that we don't have electricity i should charge them with solar cell so in this application i should charge the batteries with low current.

Attachments

• charger1.JPG
    charger1.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,760
  • charger2.JPG
    charger2.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 994
Last edited:
i couldn't find a 12v 7.2Ah Ni-MH or Ni-Cd battery, i think with this Ah i should use Lead Acid ones or is there a special battery for solar cells? i want to use this battery charger for LED traffic sign ( see this: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/led-tracffic-sign.112419/) . i have 44 LED that consume 350ma and i want to turn the LED's on and off every 2 seconds for power consumption, and i also need solar cell for days and battery and battery charger for working in the nights and i don't have much space for solar cell, the solar cell should be as small as possible so i don't know what kind of battery and battery charger is suitable for my application. i want it works 7 or 8 hours with battery and i think a 12v , 7.2Ah is suitable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back