Smart battery charger with PIC16F877A

Status
Not open for further replies.

amindzo

Hi, i want to charge a 12v, 7.2Ah battery with PIC16F877A. I need a smart battery charger. i use picbasic pro 2.5b.could you help me with this?

U need to setup a feedback loop using the ADC (measuring batt V) on the PIC. That allows u to govern the duty cycle of current pulses to the battery. U also need to know the specs on your battery voltage levels to know when it's charged. You will need a power MOSFET driver driven by a PIC pin to feed the current to the battery. You will prob. also need an over current circuit on the MOSFET gate in case of a short. That can be done with the PIC as well by using another ADC and a power resistor to measure the voltage drop caused by heavy current flow.

Hi, i designed this battery charger for one of my project but it's a simple one and it's not a smart and good one. i need a smart and advanced battery charger that charges the batteries very well and don't damage them. i want to charge a 12v, 7.2Ah Ni-Cd or Ni-MH battery. i want to charge the batteries in two ways, in some place with electricity and in some place that we don't have electricity i should charge them with solar cell so in this application i should charge the batteries with low current.

Attachments

• charger1.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,766
  • charger2.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 998
Last edited:
i couldn't find a 12v 7.2Ah Ni-MH or Ni-Cd battery, i think with this Ah i should use Lead Acid ones or is there a special battery for solar cells? i want to use this battery charger for LED traffic sign ( see this: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/led-tracffic-sign.112419/) . i have 44 LED that consume 350ma and i want to turn the LED's on and off every 2 seconds for power consumption, and i also need solar cell for days and battery and battery charger for working in the nights and i don't have much space for solar cell, the solar cell should be as small as possible so i don't know what kind of battery and battery charger is suitable for my application. i want it works 7 or 8 hours with battery and i think a 12v , 7.2Ah is suitable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…