Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smallest controlable led light

ricb007

Hi experts.
Can you point me to the smallest WiFi or Bluetooth controlable, multi colour LED light.
I need 10, and they need to fit discreetly within the size of a 5 pence peice.
Thanks

I just want to get info on the smallest controlable led and rechargeable battery available.
You have still not answered the question about minimum acceptable battery life; eg. how long it must work in standby or operating, per battery charge??

The "Smallest possible battery" may only give a few minutes working life per charge!

Also, do you expect the battery charge controller to be built in, and with what connector - or will it have a separate, dedicated charger??

This is the sort of thing I need except a colour changing led instead of speaker.
Also a square circuit board so more compact and all within a 5p peice.
Doable or Impossible????

Attachments

• 16858180277733547323103340393048.jpg
    16858180277733547323103340393048.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
The unit in the pic almost fits into my mock up model.
Question..if I solder a led to one of the sets of wires will it work as a light??.
If so I also have these samsung head phones which look like they may have the right size circuit board inside.
I don't want to scaveng these unless I have to.

Attachments

• 16858278848579084251521590835224.jpg
    16858278848579084251521590835224.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 99
4 or 5 hours would be nice.
I was hoping to have a dedicated charger that all 10 units clip/plug into, similar to samsung ear pods
Battery runtime is rated in AmpHours. So the AH rating you need for your product will be determined by how much current you need for that time.

How bright do you want the LEDs to be? Have you selected an LED that will give you that brightness? How much current does it need to do that give that much light?

You need to know that before you can come even close to knowing whether what you want to do is feasible.

In reply to your post #26. An LED takes significantly more current than an audio earpiece.

The unit in the pic almost fits into my mock up model.
Question..if I solder a led to one of the sets of wires will it work as a light??.
If so I also have these samsung head phones which look like they may have the right size circuit board inside.
I don't want to scaveng these unless I have to.
I assumed you want the LED board to fit into the headphone housing with the original headphone circuit board. Yes, you should be able to make a circuit board with that fits. A small high-brightness LED at 0.5mA should give a nice signal. They won't light up a room but they will be noticeable. Do you want a microcontroller that can change the multicolor LED or will you have switches? What's the plan?

yes, the led needs to change colour so will need a controller.
The entire circuit boards,blue tooth chip, led, led controller and rechargeable battery all need to fit into the small space. This will give me all I need.
How do I make a circuit board. Do I buy the parts and do it myself??
I assumed you want the LED board to fit into the headphone housing with the original headphone circuit board. Yes, you should be able to make a circuit board with that fits. A small high-brightness LED at 0.5mA should give a nice signal. They won't light up a room but they will be noticeable. Do you want a microcontroller that can change the multicolor LED or will you have switches? What's the pla

yes, the led needs to change colour so will need a controller.
The entire circuit boards,blue tooth chip, led, led controller and rechargeable battery all need to fit into the small space. This will give me all I need.
How do I make a circuit board. Do I buy the parts and do it myself??
Have a look at JLCPCB, who will not only manufacture bare PCB's to your design, they will also fit the components (for very little cost), assuming they have them in stock. They also provide a free PCB design program, either on-line or off-line.

If you're asking about how to make a PCB, I assume your skill level is minimal and you may be biting off more than you can chew here. But, to get you started, you could try a Laird BLE651 development board. It has the Bluetooth controller on the board and some free pins that can be programmed to control your LEDs. The battery will be extra, the board is 10mm x 14 mm so it will fit on an 18mm diameter coin you defined.
You'll have to download the Nordic SDK and figure out how to program the chip on the development biard.

Size wise, without the battery, It will look like...

Attachments

• 73067B8B-88D3-4C58-904D-F717F426ABF4.jpeg
    73067B8B-88D3-4C58-904D-F717F426ABF4.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 93

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back