Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smallest (cheapest) micro and LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizzBall

Hello everyone,

I have a fairly simple question that will draw on your experiences with micros and parts so far.

What is the smallest and/or cheapest micro (that you know of) capable of:

Must haves:
- SPI communication (sw)
- Capable of driving a very small LCD
- SOIC package

Nice to have:
- USB capabilities

[PIC is preferred but I have no issues with other brands.]

The other part is an LCD to pair with this micro - does anyone know where can I get a small LCD (1 line) - the kind that only displays 2-3 digits (like the ones in cheap digital gadgets or thermometers)?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
The 16F916 can directly drive a small 2.5 digit 0.5" LCD.
**broken link removed**

Digikey.ca sells em both.

Last edited:
Bill, I just looked into it and I have one additional question. The LCD module works at 5V while the rest of my circuit works at 3.3V - I am wondering if this could be a potential problem. From your experience would such a setup work with a 5V LCD?

Thank you!

The LCD shown works at 3V to 5V. Creatron Inc on College in Toronto has a 3V LCD seven segment glass. It's from TopWayDisplay in China.

Search for Cricket here in these forums for more info and a code example.

Last edited:
Any chip that can use its ports as source or sink can drive a static LCD as long it has the pin count. I'm just mentioning this in case there' a cheaper alternative.

Ya, you have to alternate source and sink to give you the positive/negative swings. Here's a nice article on the basics.

**broken link removed**

Thanks for the post Mark I been look for data on how to use static LCD thats a good link.

If you want a really cheap micro and an external LCD driver solution, you can get an NXP external controller from Digikey for $1.71. You can also look at this datasheet if you want to see the waveforms you need to generate if you have shared pins and multiple common pins.

Part #: PCF8576DT

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/07/PCF8576D_8.pdf

I have not used this myself. I did experiment with direct drive and it works well, but since I can get the 7110 glcd's for $1 each and they only take a couple mA's when running, I never ran with it.

Last edited:
Mark,

I think I have one of those 7110 glcd's... any idea where I can get the connector for it? It seems to be non standard. And where do they sell for $1? I got it from Dipmicro for about $3 :D.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Mark,

I think I have one of those 7110 glcd's... any idea where I can get the connector for it? It seems to be non standard. And where do they sell for $1? I got it from Dipmicro for about $3 :D.

Thank you!

This guy sells them for $1 each. I noticed he only has a lot of 24 going right now.
Shop eBay Canada Store - Experimenter's Discount Warehouse:: PLCC, Red

I made up a footprint in Eagle and use a bit of flat bar and 4-40 bolts to hold it all together. You can see the pictures in the other thread. The Eagle library is in there as well.

Nice to have:
- USB capabilities

[PIC is preferred but I have no issues with other brands.]
As far as I know the 18f14k50 (or 18f13k50) is going to be the smallest pincount USB chip from Microchip. Will fit all requirements except driving the bare glass LCD. It's a little peculiar though, as the D+, D- pins share the PGD and PGC pins. The 18f version is the 5V version with a 3.3V internal regulator, or use the 18LF version for straight 3.3V supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back