Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

small starter program for avr butterfly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmadsci

Does anyone have a small starter program for the avr butterfly?
I only program in assembly and a small starter program to access the lcd and or ports would be greatly appreciated. After buying one i almost threw it away because i cant find any short asm programs to get me started . thanks.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed** (GCC but it'll give you andidea of program structure)
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I started with AVRs a yearago, moved from writing assembly for PICs. I just went straight to C code, as it really is easier once you get everything set up. (and its all free). Even though my high level languages aren't great, I have managed several projects each built in under two hours. including 'standalone portable pic/AVR programmer', 'wireless CD quality audio', WAV player from SD card etc...

I was tihnking of getting the butterfly myself, as it has pretty much everything you would need for an AVR.

Good luck :D

I would STRONGLY recommend using a C compiler with the AVR Butterfly, if you want to learn ASM from scratch I would recommend a much smaller chip as managing the peripherals the Butterfly has in ASM is no task for a beginner. C code is a whole different story, you can be up and running with serial communication and using the LCD in short order as it has libraries for it already.

glad to be of service.

I was originally annoyed at how so many 'pushed' C code for AVR's over assembly...until I started to learn AVR assembly myself. Whilst assembly will always be more efficient that C, when it comes to modern compilers, compounded by the AVR achitecture, the benefits of C greatly outweigh the cons. Much shorter development time, much shorter code, paying for it with only a slight decrease in efficiecy....which means nothing unless you're really pushing the chip in terms of speed and code space. In which case its almost always cheaper in the long run to just 'use a better chip' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back