Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Small soler cell question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colin55, if you are willing, please could you send the URL of your website?

I'm interested in the concept of a voltage mutiplier circuit. And I'm quite willing to use prefab circuits to achieve my goal. As it is, my RF transmiiter is cannabalised from a toy car.

(I regularly see garden lights for USD 3.00 in the shops near me.)

Last edited:
Thank you. Now I know how the professionals approach these small solar cells. That gives me enough scope to buy or build.

The RF transmitter probably doesn't want an oscillator, but I now see a way forward.

If you all have time for one last question....

Here's what I came up with. "Transmit a signal when the sun is shining."
RF transmitter (indicated by Rload) runs at 3V, 22 mA, shuts off at 2.7V.

6V = two 3V solar cells in series.
1K chosen to shut off the RF transmitter load when it's cloudy.
The zener is 1/4-watt (not 25-watt).
Your examples showed a circuit like this could tolerate a transistor, so I used one.
I've quit worrying about extra current from the solar cells, it's a myth.

Will this work?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• solar_rf4.JPG
    solar_rf4.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
The trouble with the circuit is this:
The device you are powering will gradually receive current and the voltage will gradually rise. If the device is a micro or oscillator, the oscillator will not start-up.
This is the funny thing about oscillators - that no-one or book will tell you.
They need a heavy current to reliably start-up.
That's why you need either a Schmitt Trigger in the voltage-delivering section and/or some form of capacitor across the load.

It needs a microcontroller to shut down when not needed and have a sense line to detect when the sun comes up

Sun-UpAlarm-2.gif**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back