Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Small projects ideas needed ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel.trepiak

Hi there

So I've got this problem. I'm an electronics student and I have this kind of project for school where I have to find someplace to help people. Nonetheless I have found one where I can help poor teens and young adults to understand how electronics and electricity works. Now, the problem is that I have to come up with some ideas for small projects which can be done in like an hour or so max. each and aren't too difficult. The main goal is to show them the different energy sources available and why one is better than the other. But besides that they also should have some fun with led's, arduino's,... Now I have some ideas but I need more. Is anyone willing to suggest something please? :) If it's not a problem of course.

Thanks

A bit of an open ended question really as things can differ so much, dependant on the age / ability of you audience. My first idea was to search on Google using 'teach children electronics' which did bring up ideas. One thing I think about is - Are the students building the things or are you doing so in front of them with explanation? Don't forget that soldering is dangerous so it would be risky for normal students. What are the limitations you are under? Simple circuits on solderless breadboard? Keep it simple and have spares in case of failures is a very good idea. I remember when working where we had to give presentations. Entire system redundancy was, in my opinion, essential as the saying goes 'If it can fail, it will!'.That said, the sort of things which interest students are those which have stimulating output. Light / sound / momement etc. Light operated switch, controlling a relay to turn something on / off? The energy sources - battery? solar? dynamo? There are lots more. In my opinion a good learning experience for them will be an even better for you. Good luck.

Tracy

Thanks for the answer. I'm indeed very aware of the risk of soldering and that's why i also chose breadboards. Now, the limitations as concerning the costs are not too low. It will be funded up to maybe a thousend euros(I'm living in Belgium) or more. The idea is to help them make something they would enjoy making. Like as you said, something with light or sound. We're on the same page here. The people I will be helping will be between 15 and 25 years old. So some ideas I've had already are:
-wireless energy transfer with selfmade coils, Led at one end and a power circuit on the other(low voltage like 5V or 12V)
-maybe some arduino programs like blinking leds or shifting leds
-some RGB leds with potentiometers to mix the colors
-LDR for detecting light, because solar energy won't be available(we're doing it inside only)

I also wanted to show them something that's too difficult to make for them yet cool, so I ordered a small Tesla coil with which I will demostate how it can play sounds or even make a fluorescent lamp give light.

So i'm basically lacking a few more ideas.

I think a small wind-powered generator that lights an LED would be worthwhile if done well. These, of course, are all over the place and frequently with "ambitious" advertising e.g., **broken link removed**

Still, easily and cheaply built with much educational value, especially when extended to issues about how to escalate the demonstration to something with tangible value.

What about a small DC motor being powered by a battery, and flipping the motor around to see the change in direction. Then with a diode in series to see how it affects things.

Then a simple circuit with the LED. And then finally a DC motor that they turn (though you'd have to provide a suitable crank so they can spin it quickly) to watch it act as a generator and power the LED?

Start small and simple, make a lemon battery and light a small LED. The idea being a learning objective (battery) and a learning outcome (LED Lights). Basic, simple and defined.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back