Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

slowing down speed on garage door opener

Status
Not open for further replies.
I confused here, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Why would I have to find a way to get 24vdc? If the garage opener operates off a 24vdc motor, isn't the power already there. I just need to drop it, right?

Well, 24VDC isn't exactly flowing out of the wall. You'd need something to produce it like a power supply.

The garage opener consists of the motor and everything else. That everything else (whatever it might be like the remote control electronics or other more delicate circuitry) would probably have something that converts 120VAC into a lower regulated DC voltage. You'd have to bypass this and reproduce the same type of regulator, except from 24VDC (not difficult).

Last edited:
I doubt if you bought a garage door opener you would have to buy a separate psu. It should come with the kit.

I've seen some garage door openers that use a small psu (i.e. wall wart) and charge an SLA battery, which provides the high current required to drive the door opener motor. This also has the advantage of being able to open the door when the power goes out

Get a chain opener. The sprocket is tiny so you can't make it any smaller. What you can do is mount a large and a small sprocket on an idler shaft. Have a short chain between the original sprocket and the large one on the idler shaft, and the main chain runs on the small sprocket on the idler shaft.

This is a picture of a belt reduction but the idea is the same:-
https://mechanicalphilosopher.com/lplume01.jpg

After further consideration, I'm going to stop being lazy and build a system more specific to my project. It will come out to about the same price and I can have better control of the speed and power. I found a inexpensive 86" linear shaft and bearing off craigslist. Using the basic design of garge door rail system, I'll use a chain to drive the bearing up and down powered by a 12 or 24volt motor. Throw in a speed controller, power supply and a momentary switch and call it a day. short, sweet and simple...

what do you think of one these motors. Scroll down.

After further consideration, I'm going to stop being lazy and build a system more specific to my project. It will come out to about the same price and I can have better control of the speed and power. I found a inexpensive 86" linear shaft and bearing off craigslist. Using the basic design of garge door rail system, I'll use a chain to drive the bearing up and down powered by a 12 or 24volt motor. Throw in a speed controller, power supply and a momentary switch and call it a day. short, sweet and simple...

what do you think of one these motors. Scroll down.

Why not use a 1/2" drill, then you will have a 117V motor, plenty strong with built in speed controller and forward and reverse, all in one package. :)
It probably could be substituted for the motor in a garage door opener without much trouble.
It should not be to difficult to relocate the switches to a convenient location. .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back