Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Slowing DC motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
A motor that starts will full load should ideally be ramped up in place of applying full power, zero rpm is the point the motor is drawing maximum current when full voltage is applied.
Max.

A motor that starts will full load should ideally be ramped up in place of applying full power, zero rpm is the point the motor is drawing maximum current when full voltage is applied.
Max.
That is why I phrased the question as I did. It is a 3A motor but likely draws more at start up or maximum load or if it got jammed up.

This is why the best way is via PWM slow start.
If you want to find the start current, you feed a small known voltage into the locked rotor motor and measure the current, readings should be taken at different positions and the lowest taken as the resistance value for calculation at full voltage..
Max.

If the proposed controller is from the orient it's probably rated in Chinese Amps ;). For a '3A' motor I'd be looking for a >10A rated controller.

If the proposed controller is from the orient it's probably rated in Chinese Amps ;). For a '3A' motor I'd be looking for a >10A rated controller.
Thanks, there’s a 10A on the way arriving Thursday. I’m sure it will be exhausted from the “long journey” but will hopefully still cover my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back