Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

My boss want's me to install skype while we work on our website, is this software safe from outside attacks, or does it open up ports and leave my PC vulnerable.

Thanks

My boss want's me to install skype while we work on our website, is this software safe from outside attacks, or does it open up ports and leave my PC vulnerable.

Thanks

How soon does he expect this. I am currently working with my department in an effort to combine current software which will enable PC's to attend on of my video teleconferences.

We have a level of security that you may not at the University. I am currently reviewing one that will combine and work with our Codec's and MCU's introduced to us by another University but we are still in review.

As far as skype is concerned we do not allow it on Campus because their is a security issue.

You could dual boot and use i-chat but only to PC's that run Mac software. This will reduce the chances of a compromise most of the programs out their are going to try and utilize open door policies created by Microsoft.

kv

Could you say a bit more about what the issue is.

I'm not in IT all I know is it's not allowed ?

Here usually it pertains to security when their is a ban on software.

kv

Last edited:
I am interested as to why though. I think I will bring it up in the meeting.

Then I will post the reply.

kv

I found this on our website.

The use of programs such as KAZAA, Skype, Morpheus, Gnutella, LimeWire, Bear Share, Emule and iMesh that are used to download music, movies, and games are not appropriate use of the network. These programs pose a significant security RISK TO YOU since you are allowing anyone to access your hard drive and computer resources to use it for possible illegal purposes. File sharing also creates large amounts of network traffic causing the college and statewide networks to slow down. Additionally, almost all files that are downloaded are copyrighted materials that are illegal to share and download. You can be prosecuted for doing such.*

Skype may pertain to bandwidth and not security ? As I don't know about the program maybe if it's sharing system resources then maybe their is a significant risk in the event of that requirement. Do you understand how it works ?

Otherwise I will bring it up when I get the chance.

kv

Skype must open a port(s) or you would never get an incoming call.

But I imagine that your campus is just a worried about bandwidth.

I use skype and like the clarity of the audio. It may be allowing more dynamic range then the phone system.

3v0

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back