Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Situation in which a flyback diode is not a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dah

Hi guys,

My first post and I hope my question is not too stupid.
I am wondering whether there is a situation in which it is not a good idea to connect a large flyback diode to my lab power supply.

Concrete background:
I bought a 12V DC (car) ozon generator on ebay and would like to power it from my lab power supply with a switch. I don't know the exact internal circuitry of the ozon generator, but it certainly contains a high frequency high voltage transformer (~ 3kV). The ozon generator consumes ~ 7A and I would like to avoid damaging my PS when opening the DC circuit by just using a flyback diode (V(RRM)=1kV / I(AV)=10A) (in case it creates a voltage spike). I am almost certain that there must be something internal that prevents voltage peaks, but I don't want to risk it.
Is there any reason why this could be a bad idea?

Thanks!

If it generates bad spikes it most certainly won't be much good in a car full of electronics .

Now if you are talking putting a diode across the terminals of your power supply - it won't do anything - the spike has already been generated and is traveling up the supply line to your power supply.

If you are particularly concerned, you would be better off to use a Zener diode or voltage transient suppressor across the power supply.

And use one with a voltage rating equal to or slightly higher than the highest voltage your power supply can provide rather than a 12V one (other wise if you crank up the power supply, you could dump a lot of current through the Zener).

Now if you are talking putting a diode across the terminals of your power supply - it won't do anything - the spike has already been generated and is traveling up the supply line to your power supply.

ohje ... of course!!! thanks! ... my bad ...

yeah ... but I am not intending to use it for a car. I just wanted to have one that can be supplied with 12V DC instead of mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back