Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single transistor 4-20mA Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrocad

Hello All! This is my first post to the forum and I wish to construct a 4-20mA Source.
I made one many years ago and it was a very simple circuit powered by a 4½V battery
and controlled by a pot'meter.
I would appreciate any pointers to a necessary circuit diagram.
Thanks in advance.
Malcolm J

An LM317 adjustable voltage regulator will make a very simple current source. See the diagram below.

If you replace the resistor shown with a 60 ohm resistor in series with a 250 pot, you should cover the range from 4mA to 20mA. If you don't care about strictly limiting the output to the 4mA to 20mA range, a 500 ohm pot in series with a 50 ohm resistor will give a slightly larger range, limited to about 25mA max.

SmartSelect_20190225-123759_Drive.jpg

You need to know what load voltage range the current source needs to work into.

The minimum dropout voltage of some circuits will severely limit the range of your output voltage.

If you're only starting with 4.5 Volt battery, you may not have much left at the output.

For instance, the datasheet input to output spec number for the 317 is 3 Volts. Subtract the 1.25V for R1, and you only have 0.25 Volts left. And zero when the batteries age.

Here's the LTspice simulation of a two transistor constant-current circuit.
It requires a little less than a volt of headroom
Pot U2 adjusts the current from 4mA to 20mA.
A possible disadvantage of the circuit is that current is nonlinear with respect to pot wiper position.
If you want a linear adjustment with position, then you would likely need to go to a more complex op amp circuit.

1551151723739.png

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond to my query.
The 2 - Transistor circuit looks to be the what I was looking for,
I assume that the load goes between rload and -4.5V, and also
the "Bottom" of R3. I seem to remember that I had a 0-30mA
meter in series with the load.

Thanks again,

Regards

Malcolm J

I assume that the load goes between rload and -4.5V, and also
the "Bottom" of R3.
No.
The load replaces the resistor Rload.
With a 4.5V supply, its maximum allowed resistance is about 175 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back