Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single Phase Cap Start AC Motor wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzm.oside

I have a 120V AC motor that I salvaged from a Chamberlain garage door opener and I want to re-purpose it in another project. It has an external Capacitor with the specs: 64MFDs , 220V AC.....so I am assuming it is a Cap start motor.

My question is how to wire it. The motor has three wires: Blue, Red and White. The blue and red wires connect to the capacitor ( this would be the start winding correct?) . How is the white wire connected? Any info and help would be appreciated.

James

It could be a start cap or it could be a run cap if it's a split phase induction motor like a ceiling fan uses. If so, red and white go to mains and the cap goes between a main and the blue wire. You can reverse rotation by connecting to the other main.

Last edited:
If you're in the U.S. (color codes are different elsewhere) then white goes to the AC neutral. The other AC line (hot) is connected to the red or blue wire depending on which way you want it to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back