Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single digit 7 segment VF displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclipsed

Maybe someone here can help me with this.I'm looking for a source to purchase single digit VFD displays in small quantities.Similar to the common single digit 7 segment led displays available at nearly any distributor, but in VF.They are made by Noritake/Itron, Futaba, etc.I just can't seem to find a distributor that sells them.

BTW At this point, I don't really care where the place is located(inside/outside US), and I'm not really concerned with pricing, I just need to find these somewhere with a simple ordering process.

I didn't realize that they made VF in anything but multiple-digit forms.

Most folks find that if they do a Google search for the manufacturer or especially the part number, you'll end up with all sorts of vendors flying back at them. In fact, when most of us want data, we get vendors.

Dean

Hi Guys,
What is VFD? :?:
I've seen Nixie, Florescent, LED and LCD displays.

audioguru said:
Hi Guys,
What is VFD? :?:
I've seen Nixie, Florescent, LED and LCD displays.

"Vacuum Fluorescent Display", as already suggested, I've only ever seen multiple character ones - usually custom ones used in VCR's etc.

i HAVE ONE in probably the very 1st scientific calculator ever made. It was used by a former boss of mine and was made in about 1972. It has a "cool blue" display and eats 9V batteries like mad!
It takes it about a minute and a half to calculate some logs. :lol:

Well the reason they eat batteries like mad is the fact that they have a heater or filament just like the old vacuum tubes. Each segment usually has a grid that functions like the old vacuum tubes. The idividual grids will actually turn on and off the individual digits. The segments A thru G are like plates of the vacuum tube, and they light up the pretty blue.
The major difference between them and the vacuum tubes is that the VFD work on low voltage.
I have built several digital clocks with them. One clock was built over 20 years ago and it still works. I salvaged the displays from some old surplus circuit boards.
I can even remember being able to purchase them from the electronic distributors in years past, and I still have a couple of 4 digit ones and a 8 digit one in my parts collection.
This type of display has been real popular in the automobile dash instruments, and radio dials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back