Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sine and cosine functions with microchip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve311

Hello all, been a while since I’ve programmed but looking for insight on sine and cosine functions when using a pic? I’m familiar with the pic16F6xx series but that’s about it. Easiest and most accurate approach ? TIA

By storing one 45 degree table you can get all 360 degree values. Is 8 bit enough resolution?

Mike.

x=radius;
y=0;
m=1/256 or other fraction which makes a small number.

do forever
{ x=x - y*m;
y=y + x*m;
}

will trace out an almost perfect circle.

Can be done with only adds and shifts if the denominator of the small fraction is a power of two...

From the Cordic algorithm.

I first did this in Assembler on a PDP-8...

x=radius;
y=0;
m=1/256 or other fraction which makes a small number.

do forever
{ x=x - y*m;
y=y + x*m;
}

will trace out an almost perfect circle.

Can be done with only adds and shifts if the denominator of the small fraction is a power of two...

From the Cordic algorithm.
is that cordic boiled down? or something else?

edit: durrr, how did i miss the last sentence.

Last edited:
A good way to think about the cordic algorithm is it's like those nail and string patterns that form curves.

Mike.

I use a small routine that has 15 table entries and draws tiny lines between each 3° I use it in virtually all my display's it is for 90° but I use it for any angle..
C:
long cosine(int ang)
    {
    int x,y;
    long tmp,count=0;
    if(ang > 900) ang = 900 -(ang - 900);
    for(x=0;x<30;x++)
        {
        y += 2;
        tmp = ReadTable(y);
        if(ang == 30)
            {
            count += tmp;
            count = 4000 - count;
            return count;
            }
        if(ang < 30)
            {
            count += (tmp/30)* ang;
            count = 4000 - count;
            return count;
            }
        count += tmp;
        ang -= 30;
        }
    return 0;
    }

The lookup table is percentages of 4000 each 3° is determined and added to produce the fraction of 4000... Because I use fixed math I use this to work out radius from angle The angle is 0 ~ 900 and the length is multiplied by the answer and divided by 4000 !

Works for me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back