Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple user interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

twrz

I am looking into building a small gadget that will have a b/w LCD (4x20 chars). I'm a total beginner at using controllers, and not even sure if that's what I need. I also eventually want I/O. Any suggestions on what controllers to use would be great. Thanks

If you don't know anything about them then it really doesn't make any difference. Just pick one and learn everything you can about it. I guarantee your time will not be wasted even if you never use that part again. You may be agrieved at the expense of the development tools for a part but maybe that should be the standard. Which company gives the most free tools?

When you answer that question you will have arrived.

twrz said:
I am looking into building a small gadget that will have a b/w LCD (4x20 chars). I'm a total beginner at using controllers, and not even sure if that's what I need. I also eventually want I/O. Any suggestions on what controllers to use would be great. Thanks

Yes, you need a micro-controller - unless you've already got experience with something else I would suggest the MicroChip PIC range (the most popular ones), as these have the best support available on the internet.

My tutorials will tell you a LOT of what you need to know - BTW, a 4x20 LCD is usually actually TWO 2x20 ones, with a seperate select line for each half.

Thanks

I'll buy a Microchip and start learning :)
Also, what about all the different features, like should I get one with flash memory or ROM? I want this thing to be able to store data once it's finished. Is the chip memory suitable for this or would this need external memory? And what about pin count? Is 100 pins better/worse than six pins for a simple gadget?
Sorry 'bout all the questions :eek:
p.s. Nigel I'll be using those tutorials!

twrz said:
I'll buy a Microchip and start learning :)
Also, what about all the different features, like should I get one with flash memory or ROM? I want this thing to be able to store data once it's finished. Is the chip memory suitable for this or would this need external memory? And what about pin count? Is 100 pins better/worse than six pins for a simple gadget?
Sorry 'bout all the questions :eek:
p.s. Nigel I'll be using those tutorials!

You NEED FLASH/EEPROM memory, using an OTP (or even UV eraseable) one is far too time consuming and expensive.

The 'classic' PIC's are used in my tutorials, and these are good ones to start with (which was why I picked them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back