Simple USB interface for thermocouple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Hardhouse

Hi All,
I've a need for a simple (quick, easy & cheap) way to read a temperature from a thermocouple, in soft real time, into some PC software. This doesn't need to be a project in itself - I'd just like to get the data in the least stressful way possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an approach?

This module, using the MCP9600, looks like a promising start. You can plug in a thermocouple and talk to it over I2C.

The de-facto standard for PCs of course is USB. Are there any recommendations for a device that can talk both USB and I2C with minimal programming, and appear as an easy-to-handle device at the PC (possibly virtualising an RS232 port would be simplest)?

All ideas much appreciated folks!

[EDIT: Doesn't have to be Arduino... just posted here for maximum attention!]

Dev tool is PSOC Designer :

This is the older PSOC 1 family of parts.

Regards, Dana.

Thanks both.
I think that the Cypress system may be more work than I was looking for, although the app notes are good.

I had seen the Phidget products, but was hoping I might find something a little cheaper. However, having looked at some of the documentation, they do seem like they might be worth forking out for. I wonder if my boss will agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…