Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Transformer Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon815

Hi, I have a varsity project which requires me to build a simple transformer. I was just wondering if anyone had good ideas for a transformer core? Not much of a budget for this project so preferably something i can get from scrap metal etc..

I was thinking along the lines of just using a 8-10cm mild steel bolt or even washers (multiple washers insulated from each other to mimick a traditional transformer core). Is this a good idea?

Thanks

Last edited:
If you look in side a discarded computer power supply you may find an inductor that contains a core. Many of the inductors that I see in supplies like that are toroidal inductors - google on that and you should see a picture. It looks like a ring or donut with windings.

You could strip the windings off - and just add your own. If a single winding you might just add your own over top.

You might also find an AM loopstick antenna with a rod or bar core.

Lots of ways to handle this one. I think the solid iron/steel might work to demonstrate the principles but probably not well. In transformer cores are laminated or sintered so that the iron is not a continuous conductor.

Amidon Associates, among others, sell toroidal cores.

Last edited:
If you look in side a discarded computer power supply you may find an inductor that contains a core. Many of the inductors that I see in supplies like that are toroidal inductors - google on that and you should see a picture. It looks like a ring or donut with windings.

You could strip the windings off - and just add your own. If a single winding you might just add your own over top.

You might also find an AM loopstick antenna with a rod or bar core.

Lots of ways to handle this one. I think the solid iron/steel might work to demonstrate the principles but probably not well. In transformer cores are laminated or sintered so that the iron is not a continuous conductor.

Amidon Associates, among others, sell toroidal cores.

Thanks, I'll def. try the computer power supply idea.

With the solid iron/steel core idea, i thought this wouldn't affect the performance too much. I think the supply to test our project is only 10V peak to peak and the turns ratio is only in the single digits. Will it affect it that much??

It will work, you'll find out how well when you build it though.

what is your transformer for?

mains connected or signal?

What frequency and power level do you require?

Ferrite is good for >20kHz but useless at 50/60Hz.

it's a signal generator 10V peak to peak with 50ohms internal resistance..

my transformer is supposed to be 9khz and the step down ratio is something small like 3:1

Last edited:
How about something like this? You can use the ferrite cores scavenged from a TV horizontal deflection xfmr. That ferrite is good to about 0.6Wb/sq M (Bsat) and will work nicely at 9.0KHz. Use CMOS HEX inverters as base drivers, and you won't have to worry about loading down the multivibrator.

fc= 1 / (2ln(RC))

Attachments

• dcac.jpg
    dcac.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 310
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back