Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple timing circuit, 3 x 15Hz = 45Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I am assuming that S14 is a Schottky rectifier.

Again, I cant see all of the traces, but now that I better understand some of these components, this is what I currently believe may be the setup:

The negative of the 6800uF goes to ground. The positive actually has 2 connections. One goes straight to the 9V positive. The other goes to the Schottky rectifier, then to the FET, and then to the solenoid.

Does this by any chance sound proper? This idea involves putting the 9V pos directly to the 6800uF pos, and the 9V neg directly to the 6800uFs neg. For some reason, I picture that not being a good idea.

It looks like the 6800u is connected to the 9v battery all the time and the FET connects the positive of the 6800u to the solenoid for a very short period of time.
The 6800u has an enormous "punch" and this drives the solenoid very solidly, for a very short period of time.

This is what you will have to do as the solenoid takes about 5 - 10 amps to operate very quickly and very solidly.

How much are the 8 pin chips?

Last edited:
DigiKey sells a TO-263 version of the NDS8410A for $1.66.

How a FET works is a complete mystery to me. looking at the data sheet, it looks like pins 5, 6, 7, and 8 are all on the same lead (internally).

Well, I would like a pin through hole style replacement for this 8410A. What do I need to look for? I like to buy parts from Allelectronics if possible. Some FETs they have include a 3 pin, TO-220, 26A/50V, and a 3 pin, TO-220 75A/25V. Could I use either of these, or do I need to know more about them? They also have some 8 pin DIP Op amps but do not list specs or model numbers for those.

Last edited:
Well I still need help in choosing a FET for the driver circuit. The 8410A has a max rating of 30V, but I am assuming a max rating to match a 9V battery will suffice. The 8410A has a max rating of 10.8A continuous or 50A pulsed, I am assuming I want to match that. Other than that I am assuming the only other thing I want to make sure is that it is an N-channel Enhancement Mode type.

Colin I really have to thank you for all of your help. Not only have you helped me design basically the entire electronic system of a project I conceived several years ago, but you have also helped me to better understand electronics in general.

Get 3 of the 8410A as you know they work.

Look at the circuit and see what resistor is needed on the gate (if any). You may need a resistor from gate to 0v and/or a resistor from the output of the 4017 to gate.

You can now make the circuit. You will need 3 x 6800u and the resistors that charge them plus a 4017 and 555 and components.

Last edited:
Well, I really would like a PTH type. But aside from that, I like learning about alternative ways of doing things, seeing what works, getting a better understanding of why other methods may not work. I think I should start another thread, as this post was originally a timing post.

Anyway, I already have all of the components of the timing circuit, and I put together a schematic. So everything from the on switch to the sequential output will probably be assembled tomorrow. I will probably be able to test it this weekend by integrating the original board into this circuit, so I will post the results.

-Chris P

It sounds like your battery will be running at 100% (3*33%) duty cycle, supplying several amps. Is this true?

The frequency for each solenoid is 1,000 / 15 = 66mS. You have 44mS to charge the elecrolytic.
You have to find how much energy is stored in 6800u The you have to work out the charge current to store say 60% of the charge in 44mS.
Multiply by 3 will be your approx. constant current.

I could give each driver circuit its own battery if needed. And now I am wondering, is it possible I dont need a capacitor to drive the solenoid? Maybe there is a 9V lithium ion battery that would be able to supply enough amperage? Or maybe a small 12V lead acid battery could work?

Last edited:
The 6800u is going to give you the timing for the solenoid. You are just going to have to work out the charge current to charge the electro in the given time. The constant current is going to about 5 amps.

For now I am using a pretty generic pin through hole board. Maybe there exists an SOIC -> DIP converter board? Then Id solder an 8410A onto that and mount it onto my PTH board.

Use what is know as a header plug or even an IC socket and cut it to take the surface-mount component and fit it into an 8-pin socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back