Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple squarewave generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdkanz

I'm not sure if this is possible to make but i need a square wave generator that is fairly simple.
It needs to be about nine volts in and out at about 50-150hz and has to have two outputs that are 90 deg out of phase from each other. I was looking at the lm555 timer but don't know how i could get two outputs.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is possible to make but i need a square wave generator that is fairly simple.
It needs to be about nine volts in and out at about 50-150hz and has to have two outputs that are 90 deg out of phase from each other. I was looking at the lm555 timer but don't know how i could get two outputs.

Once set will the frequency be fixed or do you want it to be adjustable in the final circuit between 50 - 150 hz? How accurate does the 90 degree phase difference have to be? Can you use a micro-controller?

How about a simple astable as a clock running at four times your desired rate clocking two D flip flops wired as a four-state Johnson counter. The outputs of the the two flop are in quadrature.

I think the diodes on the schematic I previously linked to have been connected incorrectly. It looks like they're supposed to act as a limiter so they should be in reverse parallel.

Here's another digital idea:

You could use a two-bit counter and oscillator.

The XOR of both outputs and output B is quadrature.

This could easily be implemented using a CD4060 and an XOR gate.

try the attached circuit, you need 8x (50-150Hz) to feed it the output would be 50-150Hz two clocks with 90 deg phase shift.

Attachments

• 90 deg clock..JPG
    90 deg clock..JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 392
That's a little complicated isn't it?

I've drawn up my idea which is much simpler.

The XOR gate can be made from a quad NAND, if you don't have any XOR gate ICs.

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• 4060 Quadrature..PNG
    4060 Quadrature..PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
That's a little complicated isn't it?

I've drawn up my idea which is much simpler.

The XOR gate can be made from a quad NAND, if you don't have any XOR gate ICs.

**broken link removed**

you are correct with the truth table, and if you have A&B signals you can get as required. also i made a mistake on my diagram that its 45 phase shift not 90, small change on pin connection would offer 90.

you have to connect the reset of 4060.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back