Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Pump Controller - Help Needed !

Status
Not open for further replies.

cddharth

Being a newbie, i am excited to build a home water pump which starts at higher water level (with censors) and stops at lower water level .As a advancement in this project i would like to add a variable frequency drive which will higher speed when the water level keep rising and lower speed when the water level lowers.
Can someone guide me how to go about it?
Regards,
SiD :)

Is all about sensing the water level reliably. What type of fluid level sensors? Hi/Low only? Proportional? Can you use a potentiometer float-arm like a fuel sender for a car?

What are the specs on the motor? AC/DC HP?

Hi cddharth,

a simple pump controller constists of a floating device mechanically connected to a switch will activate/deactivate the water pump.

I don't see any reason why to use a variable frequency drive with changing water level in the reservoir. (unnecessary expenses)

Pumps are designed for intermittent operation and so I suggest to keep the pump on if there is a sufficient amount of water in the reservoir. Use another floating switch to switch off the pump if the tank is full.

This is the logic to be applied:

reservoir high - tank low -> pump on
reservoir low - tank X(*) -> pump off
reservoir X - tank high -> pump off

* X = don't care.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Hi MikeMl,Boncuk.
its a 5 HP AC motor, where in i am trying to control the flow of the liquid.
It will be more intresting application if i go for VFD.
Also what kind of reading i have to do if i have to understand these concepts in detail.
pls advice any websites/ articles/ manuals etc.
Thank you,
SiD

Last edited:
Hi MikeMl,Boncuk.
its a 5 HP AC motor, where in i am trying to control the flow of the liquid.
It will be more intresting application if i go for VFD.
Also what kind of reading i have to do if i have to understand these concepts in detail.
pls advice any websites/ articles/ manuals etc.
Thank you,
SiD

What is the level of your experience?
What type of controller are you planning to use? (PLC, Micro Controller?)

You mention that you want to do flow control. For constant flow control you will either have to use a VSD (Variable speed drive) (you refer to it as VFD, same thing) or a fixed speed pump with the flow modulated by a flow control valve. In either case, you will need to have a flow meter in line. You will also need to do PID control on that loop. How do you intend to indicate the process variables received from the measurement equipment and the command signal to the VSD?

Attachments

• pump.gif
    pump.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 226
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back