Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Pre-amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

danrogers

Simple Pre-amp / volume control

Hi all :)

I have just purchased some studio monitors. These are powered (built in amps) and will be connected to my PC sound card. I need a really simple pre-amp, just a volume knob (pref a single knob for L&R channels) to sit in between the PC sound card and the input too the monitors and adjust the line level.

I'm not sure how it could be done, with audio quality being a very important factor? Any help or suggestions very welcome :)

Last edited:
I'm assuming that since the monitors were built to work with a computer that they should have a built in preamp. What you want is some sort of volume control to avoid rupturing your ear drums first thing in the morning (I try to wait an hour or so before rupturing mine). But for what you want using a simple dual audio taper pot would be the quickest way to go with little interference of the signal. If it's a decent quality pot (not one of those cheap chinese ones) there should be no audible distortion other than the decibel level.

Hi Dragon Tamer, Yes thinking about it a pre-amp does amplifiy the signal I think? And as you said, I only need to adjust the line level voltage (I think!)

Could you recommend where to look for these dual audio taper pots please? Do they come in different resistance values?

Behold, the power of internet shopping: https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=dual+audio+pot just pick the one you want to use. I'm personaly attracted to the ones with volume control motors, bt that may not be what you are looking for.

I'm not 100% on this so you may want to have this fact double checked, I think a liniar pot has an expodential effect in amplifiers (double the resistance, quarter the signal from the previous setting). The way around this is a log pot but they have to be installed a certain way.

Hi Nigel. I don't have the monitors yet, only just ordered them. They are Alesis M1 mk2's. I'm sure I could connect them directly but I wan't to have a 'hardware' volume knob instead of having to adjust it via the PC :)

How could I measure the impedance of the soundcard output? It's not a top spec one and pretty old so I'm not sure that I could find a spec?

Thanks

Likely the output impedance of the sound card is reasonably low. Do you know the input impedance of the speaker amps? You could probably go with a 10k dual audio taper pot.

Hi crutschow. This is from the user manual I have just downloaded.. Input Impedance: 20kΩ balanced 10kΩ unbalanced

I think I will be running them unbalanced, so 10k as you say I guess. Why are they different? If I wanted to run them balanced, I guess I would need to get 20k?

Thanks for the help

I think unbalanced is just a fancy way of saying mono input, while balanced is a fancy way of saying stereo input.

Not really. Balanced connections are used to reject noise especially on longer cables. This is important in studios and driving microphones. These will be mono signals, if you pushed a stereo signal through (and kept it stereo) the line would then be unbalanced.

Thought this was a good link that explains it.

http://www.nullmodem.com/Audio.htm

I think a 10k - 50k pot will work.
but make sure you got the right type, I mean these 'volumn purpose' pot.
it changes resistance exponentially which matche human's ear.

The difference between the parts are that log and liniar scale the signal voltge differently. A log pot is better than a liniar pot for audio aplications. Log pots are more dificult to make than liniar pots, this may be a contributing factor to why the pots in your first 2 links are so different in price. The price difference may also be a factor of the company that makes the part. A more expensive part implies a higher quality part.

After looking at the data sheet, the one shown in the Farnell link (the one made by Vishay) has a longer mechanical and electrical life than the one shown in the RS link. It's mechanical life is 25,000 cycles minimum vs. 15,000 cycles for the linear pot. IMO you are getting more for your money with the log pot.

The inexpensive volume control from RS (it is a log audio volume control) is not bolted to the chassis like the expensive one from Farnell so it might easily break.
It will be fine if you can secure it from moving back and forth.

Hi Guru, hope you are keeping well!

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm going to order the bits later. I'm not thinking of adding a LM317 and a small LED bar graph. Is this likely to interfere or reduce the quality of the signal at all?

Thanks again

I'm not thinking of adding a LM317 and a small LED bar graph. Is this likely to interfere or reduce the quality of the signal at all?
An LM317 DC voltage regulator was not talked about in this thread. What would it power?
Two LM3915 LED bar graph drivers will not have any effect on the audio.

Sorry, you know me better than I do, I meant LM3915's :)

Is there anything I would need to do or set to make them work with a line signal voltage? Also from what I can see ref adjust is the way you fine tune the display?

Thanks for the help as always

Ref adjust is used to by the internal comparators to get a refference on what voltage they should trip at. You will need a peak detector for your circuit though otherwise you will just have a bunch of LEDs flashing too fast to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back