Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Photoelectric Beam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkb56

Probably forgot more about electronics then I knew back when I attended electronics school. What can I say, over the years it's been simpler to just buy something than to make it.

But now I have an application where I'm needing a 'simple' photoelectric beam, that will be hooked into a 12 volt alarm circuit. Found a lot of off the shelf miniature photoelectric beams, but were all just too big, having all the circuitry in a housing. Even found a strip, (also called a curtain), in various lengths that had several beams along the length for protection, say across doors, windows and the such.

What I would like to do, is just mount the transmitter and receiver L.E.D.'s or other opto type components where I need them, and run wires back to a central point where the rest of the circuitry and relay would be.

Again, the off the shelf units I have seen had all the circuitry in a housing which is going to make it too big, and noticeable for my applications, even being maybe an inch square, or others I had seen, that were a small round shape, but 2 1/2 inches deep.

Can anyone suggest the right parts, and a diagram of this simple circuit? All i need to do is activate a 12 volt relay when a beam is broken.

If I can just mount the transmitter and receiver discretely, then the rest of the circuitry a few feet away in a housing, I'll probably do a curtain type of layout, mounting maybe 4 to 6 beams across the opening I need to protect.

Just found this forum... don't suspect I'll spend a lot of time here, so if someone out there can help me out with a parts list and a diagram, I would sure appreciate if you would contact me directly instead of posting a reply here. Don't know if it's allowed to post direct addresses here, but will give it a try... jkb at comcast dot net.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back