Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple PC datalogger

Status
Not open for further replies.

golf junkie

This is my first post here. I've been reading back posts and doing some searches and it's great to see so many who are willing to share their knowledge.

I want to be able to use my PC to log my furnace cycle and run time. I can provide either 24vac or 120vac signal, or if necessary drive a relay to provide a dry contact.

What is the easiest (cheapest) way to do this?? What software should I use?

I've read a few threads about the PIC but that seems overly complex for what should be a simple problem.

Any insight is appreciated.
GJ

golf junkie said:
I was told that this can be done through either the parallel or game port. Which one is easier to work with?

Yes, you could use either, there's not much difference in actual programming - in either case you would probably write a subroutine with does the I/O, the rest of the program would be identical in either case.

If you are using an NT based Windows (NT, 2000, XP) you can't directly access the ports, you need to do so via a driver DLL - freeware ones can be downloaded off the net.

Thanks Nigel,

The laptop I plan to use is running win95 so that shouldn't be an issue. I think that I'll use Qbasic or excel because that is where my experience lies.

GJ

golf junkie said:
Thanks Nigel,

The laptop I plan to use is running win95 so that shouldn't be an issue. I think that I'll use Qbasic or excel because that is where my experience lies.

GJ

There are a couple of good books I have about PC interfacing, unfortunately (from your point of view) they are based on Turbo Pascal, but I'm sure you can find others for BASIC. If you go to http://www.bh.com and search for "PC Interfacing", it gives two books (I have the one by Dr Pei An) - it includes games port programming. The other is here http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...46510/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/202-7616463-1655059 - but doesn't include the games port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back