Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple LED question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppadru1

I am planning an awesome LED suit for halloween. I guess my question is, what kind of power would be required for 100 LED's to BLINK for several hours (6-7 hours). How difficult would it be to build a circuit which maybe creates a pattern in the blinking of the LEDs?

Sam

Last edited:
What color of LEDs are you using? This will determine the over-all current draw from the source. But more importantly, the configuration.
Depending on the configuration of the LEDs, if you have them wired in a series/parallel configuration, that is, having 5 wired in series with multiple branches of 5 LEDs for a total of 20 branches, you could use a 12V 2AH battery. Simply put, it will deliver 200mA with this configuration (calculated at 10mA/branch). This will give you enough power with your time requirements. Your battery should last for 10 hours. However, for a higher current draw, you would need a bigger battery. I would use less than the maximum current requirement of the LEDs (it may be around 20mA). 10mA if fine. For this then, I would use a resistor in each branch of 330 ohms, 1/4W. This will provide ample ratings no matter the color or rather forward voltage drop.
You can use a PIC microcontroller as a pattern generator to control the timing and patterns of the LEDs. But then you will also need a voltage regulator. So this then would also dictate the configuration and power requirements of your LEDs base on a 5V source instead of 12V. You probably would not want to use a transistor to switch the LEDs in that this would add complexity and bulkiness to your suit. But then with a 12V battery in your rear end, you may not care. Perhaps its a clown suit in which case you have plenty to work with.:) In any case, using a PIC to drive transistors for controlling the LEDs you can still use the 12V calculations above.

If you want the LEDs to all blink in phase then use a flashing LED driving a transistor connected to all the LEDs.

If you want them to all flash out of phase with each other then, just use a flashing LED in each group of LEDs.

Don't forget that if they flash at 50% duty cycle it will last twice as long for the same current draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back