Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Infra-Red (IR) Learning Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frakkle_Rogg

Hi,

I am a student trying to build a circuit for an A-Level electronics project. Essentially I am trying to construct a two-button learning remote.

When one button is pressed, the device would go into `Learning` mode, where another remote could be pointed at an IR receiver in the device, and the signals transmitted could be recorded and stored. When the second button is pressed, these recorded signals would then be transmitted back through an IR transmitter.

The remote needs to run off a very low voltage, for instance that provided by a small `button` type battery.

I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to IR related stuff (well, electronics in general :)), so any diagrams would be a massive help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
David.

I think most remote controls transmit using a 38kHz Ir signal. In the past I have used GP1UD281YK0F to receive the signal with, do a google for it. You'd probably then feed that signal into a microcontroller to deal with whatever code is received. Pretty complicated project for a beginner if you ask me.

Norlin said:
I think most remote controls transmit using a 38kHz Ir signal. In the past I have used GP1UD281YK0F to receive the signal with, do a google for it. You'd probably then feed that signal into a microcontroller to deal with whatever code is received. Pretty complicated project for a beginner if you ask me.

I would agree, main problem (in my opinion) is creating a way of storing all types of different remote signals whilst using very little memory.

If you have masses of memory you can simply sample it and store all the samples, then play it back - but the memory requirements are huge.

what if assume that all the remotes to be used will use RC5 protocol on 38 kHz?
I think the life would be lot easier in that case...

i agree.... but on doing similar projects i found that most of the philips TV sets use the RC5 protocol, while other commercial TV sets have their own protocols....

RC5 is a very elegantly made protocol...

raviram87 said:
i agree.... but on doing similar projects i found that most of the philips TV sets use the RC5 protocol, while other commercial TV sets have their own protocols....

RC5 is the worlds most common remote system, with lot's of manufacturers using it - but it would be a pretty useless learning remote if all it did was RC5? - what would be the point?, just make an RC5 remote, no need to learn anything.

Thanks for the response guys.

What sort of memory requirements would we be looking at to record a signal of typical RC5 length? Ideally I would like to be able to sample any TV remote, so I had always envisaged the system being quite open anyway.

The device only has to record one button function in order to demonstrate what my project set-out to achieve. Any ideas what chips I would need so I can put forward a hypothetical manufacturing cost?

Again, thanks for your help!

David.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back