Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Applications with Opamps ~ Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleen

:D Hi everybody, I need help to make a circuit with opamps (LM311). I have in mind to make a basic voltmeter and use an Analog to Digital Converter (or a DAC if needed) to display the result of the measure in the voltmeter. But i have a big big problem :cry: ....I just don't know how to start.
If anybody can help me with a schematic diagram or anything i would really appreciate it :lol: , i must have to say that i'm almost new in this area of electronics and i barely understand opamps and their applications :shock: .
If i didn't make myself clear on what i'm trying to do please tell me or just say what you're thinking... :idea:

Well, for starters, LM311 is not an op amp - it's a comparator. You can make an A/D converter with comparators combined with a lot of other parts. Are you doing this on your own, or is it a class assignment? Give us more information if you want help.

As mentioned the LM311 is a comparator. However, I've built a system that used a PWM, low pass filter and compator to estimate the value of an analog input. It works well if you are measuring a slow signal with respect to the time constant of your low pass filter. On the small AVRs with a built-in comparator it is a nice way to measure battery voltage, etc of your designs.

answers

thanks everbody for your answers...Sorry, i didn't remembered it is a comparator (i suppose i have to use a 741..do i?)...and answering your question, yes, it's a class project but we have to decide what to do, so i thought it was a good project 'cause we were learning how a basic voltmeter works and how the adc's makes the conversion and i think it would be cool to make both work together but i don't know if it's possible to read the voltaje (with the voltmeter) and display it in 7-segments displays with the ADC...if anybody can help me answering i'll really appreciate it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back