Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple 7 segment display question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer_Rob

Hey, I’m relatively new to electronics and was just after some advice on how to wire up this circuit.

All it has to do is have a 7 segment display that every time 1 mico switch is pushed the number advances by 1, and when another mico switch is pushed the number decreases by 1. Ideally this counting would be done without the display turned on. Only when one of the switches to increase/decrease the number is pressed would the display turn on for maybe 2secs to show the new number (plus possibly another button to turn the display on just to see the number, without changing it). Min number shown would be 1, max 7.

The best way I have seen of doing this so far is with a controller, the only downside being it needs 4xAA for the tutorial pack (although maybe a custom circuit would need less) as I really was imagining 1xAA of even a button cell.

Any help would be great.
Cheers

Any ideas?

hi Rob,
I can buy a pack of 4, AA's for about £1 from a cut price shop, I know they are not the best quality, but for that price a PIC would be a good way to go.

A mains to 6Vdc regulated psu is only £2 to £3.:)

Thanks for the advice and recomending the PIC, the problem with the 4xAA's was just the size really as the circuit needs to be portable (if it wasn't for that I would have gone for the psu!)

There are many pics that will run on low voltage, you could run one off a single small lithium battery. I have a lithium cell that's only the size of a dime, wouldn't run very long mind you but with lithium packs you don't have to get very large for big capacities.

Last edited:
Energy density of N cells is horrible. A lithium pack of the same capacity would be 1/3 the size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back