Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple 555 4-LED Strobe light PCB problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It happens :( I've got away without using one in many circuits, but just occassionaly I get stung by my laziness. And when said circuits malfunction, they malfunction intermittently, making debugging about as joyful as root canal surgery. Good practices own :D

Blueteeth

The transistor isn't needed to drive only 4 LEDs. The 555 has an output current of up to 200mA.

Even if the transistor is used it doesn't need a base-emitter resistor because the output low voltage of a 555 is typically 0.1V which will certainly turn off the transistor.

If the output of a 555 is driving a PNP transistor then a voltage divider must be used to turn off the transistor because the output high voltage of a 555 is about 1.2V less than the positive supply.

It would appear that the reason my circuit doesnt work (most of the time) is because I foolishly omitted the decoupling capacitor.

What is a decoupling capacitor? I dont seem to have stumbled on that one yet.

Clayton

I call it "a supply bypass capacitor". It keeps the supply at a low impedance so its voltage doesn't jump up and down when the load current changes. It also supplies current when the load demands current but the supply is too weak to supply it. A 555 draws a current spike of 400mA each time the output switches. The datasheet of the 555 says to use a supply bypass capacitor to supply the momentary current to protect other circuitry that is using the same supply.

**broken link removed**
(img linked from wild-bohemian.com)

Sounds like you are talking about the capacitor in the lower left corner. If so, Im glad to finally hear the reason for that capacitor's existance.

Clayton

Clayton said:
Sounds like you are talking about the capacitor in the lower left corner. If so, Im glad to finally hear the reason for that capacitor's existance.Clayton

No, that is the timing capacitor, the whole reason for the 555's existance. Were it not for that capacitor's repeated charging and discharging through the accompanying resistors, the 555 would not perform as an astable multivibrator. There are many good tutorials available that explain the inner working of the 555 in detail.

By itself, just blinking an LED, a 555 can live without a bypass cap. But put it into a circuit, say with a 7490 counter, without a bypass cap and all kinds of crazy things can happen. It's definately best to use one.

So, let me take another shot at this.

Is the bypass cap the one that is sometimes show between pin 5 and ground?

Clayton

Clayton said:
So, let me take another shot at this.

Is the bypass cap the one that is sometimes show between pin 5 and ground?

Clayton
No, the best place to put it is between pin 8 and GND.
Batteries and power supplies are not really zero impedance sources, especially if they have long wires (which have resistance and inductance) between them and your circuit. The bypass capacitor provides a local low impedance, so that current transients, which the 555 is famous for, can find an easy path to GND. Otherwise, the transients will cause big voltage spikes on the power pins, which can screw up the operation of the circuit.
Every circuit you build which is more complex than a battery and a light bulb (a little hyperbole never hurt anyone) should have at least one, and maybe many, in the case of a big board.

No.
The capacitor in the lower left corner of the schematic is the timing capacitor that charges with R1 and R2 in series then dischargges with only R2.
The circuit doesn't have a supply bypass capacitor which should be about 100uF for this circuit and be connected from pin 8 of the IC and to ground at pin 1.

If the circuit is powered by a 9V battery then sometimes it won't work without a supply bypass capacitor because the supply voltage would be bouncing up and down so much. If it is powered by a car battery with very short wires then the bypass capacitoer wouldn't be needed.

Ok, I understand the idea, I think. The voltage that is over x amt will go into the cap instead of possibly damaging the 8 pin due to over voltage.

Wouldnt an inline resistor do the same thing? If so, wouldnt it be better as it wouldnt release all at once as the cap does?

Clayton

The output transistors of the 555 have a very high current surge from the supply that causes the supply voltage to drop. The supply bypass capacitor supplies that momentary current so the voltage doesn't drop too low. If the voltage is allowed to drop too low then circuits don't work.

The bypass capacitor keeps the power supply voltage constant. If a series resistor feeds the 555 instead then the voltage will drop when it and the load draw current. Then the supply voltage would bounce up and down a lot.

Ok, so the bypass capacitor acts as a two way street. It accepts the surplus from 1, but then supplies it back as needed during the operation.

Next question. You said it needed to be about 100uf. Is that because it is 10x the value of the timing capacitor, or is there another reason?

Clayton

There is not a surplus of voltage. The supply bypass capacitor stops the voltage from dropping too low when a high current pulse tries to reduce it.

I use a 100uF supply bypass capacitor for some battery powered electronic circuits because it can supply 400mA for about 1.2milli-seconds.The output of a 555 switches in 100ns so the voltage won't drop much with 100uF holding it up. Use only 10uF and the voltage might drop to half.

For audio circuits I use 1000uF. For logic circuits I use a 0.1uF ceramic disc capacitor. For FM radio transmitter circuits I use a 1000pF ceramic disc capacitor.

Thanks for you time, audioguru. I do greatly appreciate it.

I think I can now appreciate the usefulness and benefit of the bypass capacitor.

Next question is, do you just use it on the 555, or is it a good idea on to use on any and all ICs? How about microprocessors?

Clayton

All electronic circuits need supply bypass capacitors. On logic circuits that used old TTL ICs a 0.1uF ceramic disc supply bypass capacitor was used at each IC. Microprocessors also need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back