Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Signal Isolation

Status
Not open for further replies.

conchord

Hey guys,
sorry if this has been asked before but could someone explain to me what signal isolation is, and why it's needed?

I've been google-ing it but i'm not really getting a straight answer?

thanks

Last edited:
I work with a 'watt meter-data logger' that measures power line wattage. It measures current in all three legs of the power line and the voltage on all there legs. Depending on how the meter is connected to the 440 power line the meter may be at 0 volts or at 440 volts. If a service person pluged his meter into the data logger he could be killed. So the data from the data logger is 'isolated'. The signal from the data logger is 0/5 volts and may be on top of the 440 power line voltage. After the isolation it is 0/5 volts at the level of the service person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back