Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

signal generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many different ways.
analog: an oscillator using capacitor and current source.
analog: an oscillator using L and C
Digital: A waveform is put into memory then read out repeatedly to a digital to analog converter.
Digital: using DDC (look it up)
There are more ways!

how does a signal(or function) generator work ?
does it contain an oscillator to produce required signal ?
Yes.
The type of oscillator circuit will depend on the frequency range of the oscillator.
If the generator is a low frequency type, say 10hz to 10Mhz for audio and video circuit testing, the oscillator may be a Wein Bridge type.
If the generator is a higher frequency type, say 10khz to several 100Mhz for testing RF circuits, the oscillator will probably be an LC type.
For higher frequencies 500Mhz and up, the oscillator may use some kind of resonant cavity as the frequency determining components.

Depending on the use, the generator will have facilities for modulating the signal.
My RF generator (HP8640B) has facilities for AM, FM and Pulse modulation.
My low frequency function generator (HP3312A) has facilities for AM, FM and frequency sweep. Its facilities are a bit OTT for my needs, but it fits nicely in the space available!

Another important feature of signal generators is the output attenuator circuit.
An RF generator will have a very accurate attenuator with calibrated outputs from say 3 volts down to 0.1 microvolts. To acheive this, the mechanical construction is critical for good screening to prevent direct radiation from the case of the generator.
A low frequency generator will often have an output from say 10volts to 10millivolts, and often does not have an accurate calibration.

Does this rambling discourse help?

JimB

how can it differentiate between sinusoidal , pulse and triangular waveform ?
I am not sure what you are asking here.
The obvious answer is "look at them with an oscilloscope".

Can you explain a bit better what it is you want to know?

JimB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back