Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

signal conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

gautam cs

hello,

i am working with different type of sensors. i need your help regarding signal conditioning.
my sensors output is in micro volt.

What is the sensor output impedance and signal frequency?

Micro volts is pretty small, are you sure that is not Milli volts?

i am talking about Thermocouples.

hi,
Most thermocouples have micro-volt changes over their full operating range.
For example, an 'E' type would be used from -200Cdeg thru +1000deg.

What Type of thermocouple, also over what range of temperatures do you expect to work and what is the level of voltage after amplification.?

your temperature range fits for type-k thermocouple....you need to amplify your signal....AD595 is a good option for getting 10mV/C ouutput ......

your temperature range fits for type-k thermocouple....you need to amplify your signal....AD595 is a good option for getting 10mV/C ouutput ......

hi msd,
How do you know that the OP is using a Type K thermocouple.?:)

Hello,

i am interested in Wireless sensor network. i am making a hardware for it.
due to cost and temperature range, i want to use thermocouple.
temperature range is 0-100 C.
then i have to digitized the output of thermocouple.
i am using 8 bit ADC.
i want to use full scale of ADC output voltage.
for 0 C, ADC output should be 00H.
and for 100 C, it should be FFH.

Last edited:
For applications like what you have I use these INOR temperature transmitters. Pick your TC type, they are fully programmable, then your span or range, also easily programmed. You would scale for example 0 to 100 Deg. C = 4 to 20 mA = 1 to 5 Volts for your ADC. Besides INOR they are also made by other companies. Typically at less than $70 USD per copy I can't make boards that cheap. I also like the programmable features they offer.

Ron

How about a sensor such as this, which gives you a digitized output directly.

How about a sensor such as this, which gives you a digitized output directly.

Devices like those are OK but they have a few draw backs I think for the OP's application. They are designed mostly with an embedded sensor, so the device itself is the temperature measuring plane. Popular in power supplies and computer motherboards as well as countless other applications. They are designed to send their data over a SMBus (System Management Bus). Maybe a uC could read a bunch of them and send the data but I don't know. However, something to consider if it will work for the application.

Ron

Hello,

i am interested in Wireless sensor network. i am making a hardware for it.
due to cost and temperature range, i want to use thermocouple.
temperature range is 0-100 C.
then i have to digitized the output of thermocouple.
i am using 8 bit ADC.
i want to use full scale of ADC output voltage.
for 0 C, ADC output should be 00H.
and for 100 C, it should be FFH.

hi,
For such a low maximum of 100Cdeg I would consider using an RTD. [Resistance Tempr Detector]
Typically you would get a change for 100R to 200R for a 266Cdeg change.
Best straight line linearity of about +/-1.3Cdeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back