Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should I junk a shorted electrolytic cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuey

I was careless and hooked up a 2200uF 50V electrolytic cap by the wrong polarities. Naturally it went pop and burnt out a nearby narrow track. I tested the cap with a 24V feed and it seemed to hold the charge but I've replaced it with a new one. Should I junk the shorted cap?

Meanwhile, a 7812 regulator in the circuit seemed to have gone kaput as well. The output voltage was more than 15V instead of 12V plus. I junked it just in case as my project voltage limit is around 12V.

junk?

:D

of course, at least you have now seen a blown cap. and have also experience that when a regulator like the 7812 no longer gives the rated voltage, its kaput :D :D

The only reason you might want to keep a blown capacitor, is to dissect it to see what's inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back