Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

should i be using overcurrent protection for this project

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubleM

i am powering 2 sets of 3 5mm leds with an ac adapter. they are wired in parallel with resistors. the output dc voltage is 12v and the current output is only 500 mA. ive left them on all day without any issues. they get a little warm but not hot. its not really enough power to cause a disaster or catch on fire, but i have no fuse on it or overcurrent protection.
the thing is its in a product i may be selling to people. so i dont want to take chances. would say a 1 amp bus fuse do it? or just not worry about it?

hi,
You do not state the current rating of your AC adaptor.?

If for example it was rated at max of 1Amp, its most likely a 1Amp fuse would never blow.!
As the parallel LED's only draw 500mA, you could use a series 750mA fuse, IF the AC adaptor is rated at 1Amp or more.

Which component 'failure' in your project are you concerned about, the resistors or the LED's.???

i am powering 2 sets of 3 5mm leds with an ac adapter. they are wired in parallel with resistors.
Unclear. What is a 'set' here? Is it 3 LEDs in series? Is there one resistor per set in series with 3 LEDs? Are the 2 sets in parallel? What is the current through each LED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back