Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shorting xtal1 and gnd connections on microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mik3ca

I have a microcontroller (AT89S52) that requires an active crystal for programming. The crystal is externally connected to XTAL1 and XTAL2 pins so that the crystal helps the micro oscillate. I also have capacitors connected between those pins and ground.

I'm about to receive a microcontroller (w77e58) and its data sheet requires XTAL1 to be grounded when programming it.

Because I'm making a programmer that can program microcontrollers of different types, will the AT89S52 still be ok if I accidentally connect XTAL1 to ground? I ask this because I'm trying to make my pcb routing easier

hi,
This clip from the d/s shows X1 is an input, so grounding it should not be a problem.
E

Attachments

• A003.gif
    A003.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 96
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back