Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

short pulse ---> long hi signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a PIC core (basically a PIC with all the outputs put to a bread board, So I could use this.

The mosFET has a diode already in it so would this protect it?

Nigel Goodwin said:
No, it's not 'really' a diode, it's just a byproduct of the manufacturing process, add an external diode!.
Agreed and besides, even if this diode could handle the 2 Amp from the EPS when the FET is turned off, it is in the wrong direction to protect the FET from the back EMF.

ljcox said:
Agreed and besides, even if this diode could handle the 2 Amp from the EPS when the FET is turned off, it is in the wrong direction to protect the FET from the back EMF.

Len

How are you aware these products come from the EPS???

So I diode will need to be fitted . I'll have to put that in my design.

I'm putting a board together now and have managed to drive the FET so this looks good so far, I'll keep you informed in my progress.

Jason

huttojb said:
How are you aware these products come from the EPS???
Because I understand inductance.
huttojb said:
So I diode will need to be fitted . I'll have to put that in my design.
Yes
huttojb said:
I'm putting a board together now and have managed to drive the FET so this looks good so far, I'll keep you informed in my progress.
Thanks, some don't bother.

huttojb said:
So across the MPS.

Thank you
You're welcome. Yes, the diode limits the back EMF to about 0.7 ~ 1 Volt and therefore protects the MOSFET.

Choose a diode that can withstand 2 Amp for a brief period, ie. while the energy stored in the MPS inductance is being dissipated.

Let me know if you're struggling to find a suitable one & I'll help.

Depending on the switching frequency and rise and fall times it's not uncommon to rely on the MOSFETs internal body diode. Depends on the actual peak voltage created by the coil, and the MOSFET's specs.

huttojb said:
The 1N4148 can rate at 4A for 1:mu: S and 1A at 1mS, would this be OK.
I can't calculate the decay time since I don't know the inductance of the MPS.

If it was say 1 Henry and, given it draws 2A at 12 Volt, it must have a resistance of 6 Ohm, therefore the time constant would be 1/6 second so the 1N4148 would curl up and die.

I suggest you look at the data sheet of the 1N4004.

Last edited:
The resistance of the coil is about 5Ohm, so your estimations are about correct. I'm in Czech Republic at the moment so I'll have a look when I get back to the UK on Monday.

Thanks for working it out,

Jason

Hi ljcox,

Now, I used 555 mono with 1khz, 4%dutycircle, 1uf.

I would like to turn to 100khz with short pulse.
I had tried to increse higher freq but very sensitive.

Can 555 do up to 100khz or need to change cap?
or better try 74hc14?

regards,
sirilak

Thank you for reply.
I put 500k vr, 250k vr and changed cap.
Than increased freq more than 10khz, the signal was missing.

I though my circuit was not good enough. very simple.

.....below 10khz, ok for me :)

Thank agian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back